Thursday, July 19, 2012

CAMT Day #2

Pulling out of the driveway at 6:15 a.m. today, I had a much different attitude than I did yesterday.  It wasn't the anticipation of picking up the cool math t-shirt that I had ordered yesterday that had me so excited, it was  wondering what I would hear today.  We arrived before 7 a.m. for an 8 o'clock session:  Generation Text.  Two things to think about from this session:  (1) Remind101 - a system to send texts or emails to students - students submit their phone numbers so the teacher doesn't really have the number, and the teacher's number isn't seen by the student - privacy!, and (2) math videos - have students create videos of real-world examples (great for vocabulary) or make a video of a word problem.

Second session covered the new financial literacy TEKS.  We came out with some activities and some overview of the TAKS.  Can't say that I totally agree with what they expect a 6th grader to learn/understand, however.

Last session was on using stories in the math classroom.  We went through some great examples of children's literature that can be used in math and looked at lessons that went with the stories.  Our favorite was Math Curse by Jon Scieszka and Lane Smith.  During our discussion of the lesson and other ideas for using this book, I remembered my first session today.  Why not have students come up with their own "math curse" and video tape them?  Hmmm....may need to think about when I can do this!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting...come back soon!