Monday, August 25, 2014

Day #1 and We Did Math!

Day #1 is in the books!  I can honestly say it was a whirlwind of a day, but a great one nonetheless.  I have so much to do and decided to avoid it for a little while by writing a quick post about the day (so that I don't forget about it later!).

The greatest part of today was that I got to do some fun math with a couple of my classes that we had some extra time in.  The math came in the form of a puzzle I got from #CAMT14.  The last session that I attended at #CAMT14 was one on population education.  There is so much math and so many lessons that are available through Population Education.


The puzzle was about receiving an inheritance and goes as follows:  Your rich uncle has just died and left you a billion dollars:  with a catch.  You must count the money for 8 hours a day at a rate of $1 per second.  Do you accept your uncle's offer?  Why or why not?  (credit www.populationeducation.org)

I let the students work in groups on this.  While they worked, I observed:  how they interacted with one another, the questions they asked each other, the things they seemed to struggle with (they were both GT classes so I was somewhat surprised about some of the struggles), and the ways in which they persevered.  At the end of the class period I chose not to give any more information and didn't give them an answer.  They hated it!  Such typical math students!

Can't wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting...come back soon!