Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Getting ready...



Today I worked on my bulletin board, knowing that getting that out of the way would give me a sense of accomplishment and help me feel like I was getting somewhere.  I ordered the fabric online and when I took it out and unfolded, I realized that my work was not going to go as easily as I had imagined.  To simply stretch the length of the fabric and staple it up would mean that the chevron stripes would be going vertically and that wasn't what I wanted.  So, I had to cut the fabric into three sections and match the pattern.  Easy for a math teacher, right?  NOT!  Fabric has a little give to it, and any little stretch one way affected how the pattern matched somewhere else.  

Then I used silver deco mesh to create a border.  I wanted grey burlap but couldn't find that, so I settled for the silver mesh.  It was a little lighter than I wanted, but looked good considering I had spent hours trying to find the grey burlap.  

I printed the letters and had my kids cut them out.  They look better than stock letters and give the board a more personalized look.  I think it's important for kids to know that we don't have to be great at everything and the important thing is for them to work hard at whatever they do.  So I used a Kevin Durant quote, "Hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard."

What are you doing for your bulletin board this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting...come back soon!